Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Here Come da Prez!

So I skipped watching any of the inauguration yesterday and instead put on some 1950’s rock-and-roll CD’s. My how far we have come. That was real music. At noon here I went to the shooting range and put about 50 rounds downrange. Boy the chatter there was not very favorable about the new wunderkind. When I got back to the office I listened to excerpts from B.O.’s speech as well as some of the musings of various other speakers. What I heard of B.O.’s speech was flat and uninspiring, if not downright depressing. I did take notice when he said that we need to get busy again remaking America. What?? I don’t want America remade, particularly in his image. I kind of like our current constitution. Perhaps he would consider simply abiding by and enforcing that document for a start. Given where we are that could be construed as remaking America. I am also not too fond of his proposal for a large, well-funded national service corps, aka The Hitler Youth. Maybe green shirts instead of brown, though. I can just envision them knocking on my door telling me to turn down my heat and get rid of my V-8. The car, not the juice.
Then I heard Reverend Joseph Lowery talking about mellow yellow people and the white people needing to embrace what is right. So this is what they mean by post-racial?? Statements like that will certainly go far in promoting unity and love amongst the Kum-ba-Yah crowd. I can just see those rednecks in the South that Tom Brokaw dissed beating their shotguns into Obama commemorative candlestick holders.
And how about that poet laureate, Elizabeth Alexander? I listened to that offering of hers several times and still have no idea what she was trying to say. It sounded like the random writings of a febrile five year-old. Why must we be submitted to this poetry thingy every four years? It does not make the new president seem erudite and sophisticated, but rather buffoonish. Maya Angelou was enough already.
It seems altogether much ado about nothing. An inauspicious start for an unknown entity now masquerading as the leader of the free world. The first pop-culture president. “We don’t know what he stands for or plans to do, but ain’t he cool?”
And then there are the pictures of the National Mall knee-deep in the trash of the clean-up-the-planet crowd. Hmmm, I guess this is one of the jobs that Americans simply won’t do. Gotta have amnesty.
Oh well, when the collective national hangover clears and the fog lifts perhaps Americans will realize that they don’t really want to dance with the one that brung them.
Set your sights on 2010!

No comments: